Ironbark have worked with Sustainability Victoria to deliver a series of carbon accounting webinars as part of the Local Government Energy Saver (LGES) Program.
This Program included developing greenhouse gas inventories for 19 rural and remote councils for both operations and for the wider community, creating an action plan to address council emissions and developing greenhouse reduction targets based on the requirements of the Paris Climate Agreement.
The carbon accounting webinars are free and now available for any council to view below:
Webinar 1: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting for Corporate and Community
This webinar took place on 16 May 2018 and covered:
- How to get started with greenhouse gas reporting
- Emissions boundary setting and scopes
- Key accounting protocols (NGERS/NCOS)
- Some LGA specific emissions methodologies (waste)
- Community greenhouse gas profiles (GPC)
- Local Government Energy Saver Program emissions calculating tool
Webinar 2: Greenhouse Gas Data Management
This webinar took place on 30 May 2018 and covered:
- Availability and use of greenhouse gas data management and reporting tools
- How to capture ongoing data
- Data quality
- Reviewing data and planning annual incremental improvements
- A few special excel data management tips
Webinar 3: Science-Based Targets
This webinar took place on 19 June 2018 and explored the world of greenhouse gas and energy reduction targets, including equipping participants to create their own meaningful targets. This information is a must for any Council wanting to set or revise greenhouse emission reduction targets. Setting greenhouse gas and energy targets is one way of helping your council to join local or international pledge programs such as TAKE2 (Victoria) and the Global covenant of Mayors (international).
The webinar covered:
- The history of GHG reduction targets from a local Victorian context
- The three types of targets (aspirational, science-based and action based)
- Science derived target methodology
- Global/national/local carbon budgets
- There will also be some local government greenhouse and energy reduction target case studies exploring the development, endorsement and tracking of current targets.