In case you've been hiding in a cave, over 100 Australian councils have now changed over their street lights to energy efficient street lights such as LED, and we have now hit the magical half-a-million mark. This represents over a quarter of all residential (or local) roads, a huge achievement which outshines most of Europe, South-East Asia and North America.
While this achievement is a pretty big deal, there is still a long way to go, with councils around Australia undertaking some fascinating smart lighting pilots and keen to start sharing the results.
To assist with realising the benefits of smart lighting the National Smart Lighting Pilots program has kicked off. The intent of any smart lighting pilot is to answer the question "What is the value of smart lighting and how can this value be realised?". We already have several pilot projects up and running with exciting results coming in. For example, initial analysis from one council trial investigating dimming suggests that additional energy savings of 10-15% can be achieved.
If your council is either interested in or actively pursuing a smart lighting pilot then please register your details and/or interest here. Each pilot is designed to create new knowledge and build on the work of other pilots and projects around the country.
Councils can choose from the following areas for their pilots:
- Dimming and energy management;
- Adaptive lighting;
- Road safety (focusing on compliance and maintenance improvements);
- Asset management;
- Air quality;
- The use of cameras, wifi and telecommunications;
- Got another idea – suggest it!
It’s an exciting time for technology and councils are at the centre of this change.
View the Smart Lighting Revolution Webinar
The webinar below covers everything you need to know about Australian smart lighting and what it means for you and your council. It also covers:
- Stranded Assets: What the Minimata Convention means for your council and what you need to do to prepare for it pretty darn soon.
- State of the States: We whip around Australia and see who’s the latest to install LEDs
- From P to V: An update on the major roads (V-Category) projects currently underway and those nearly complete.
- Regulation Change: An update on the great work of the Federal Government to capture dimming savings from unmetered street lights
- Smart City Systems and Governance: How councils can ensure they're at the table and influencing decisions.
- Smart Lighting Pilots: What are the most important benefits of smart lighting?
Questions, Questions, Questions... Answered, Answered, Answered
Ironbark's motto is Real Action. We've been involved in a lot of LED street lighting projects over the last decade and our senior staff, who all have experience working at Australian councils, have been involved in literally thousands of projects between us. We have a lot of experience in real action - seeing projects completed, lights changed, energy reduced, dollars saved and emissions reduced. And we're always happy to share this experience so if your question isn't answered in the webinar, please get in touch.